Friday 20 February 2015

Blender progress with wikibook: simple person in progress

Simple person tutorial finished

After several short sections, my person is finished. Soon I'll be adding a hat. FYI, the tutorial is found at a wikibook link called Blender 3D: Noob to Pro and it's very easy to understand. I'm using Blender 2.73 and the tutorial works fine. Some older tutorials I found were difficult just because keyboard shortcuts and other instructions didn't seem to work with 2.73, which is currently the latest stable release of Blender.

I'm starting to get an idea of all the modification and sculpting one can do with basic geometric building blocks and "modifiers." Then, apparently, so much more can be done physics simulations, textures, bones, and rigging. Between cgcookie.com's Blender tutorials and the Noob to Pro wikibook, I'm having fun and getting a good, organized feel for the software. I think it's a good sign that already, just a week or so into the process, I'm starting to get ideas for characters I want to model and environments I want to construct in Blender. 

Then I get inspired and get out my pastels or watercolours and draw quick sketches as usual to keep track of ideas and try them out with my trusted tools.

Here's my completed person, at several stages of modification today.








Computer hardware issues

I'd like to mention that I haven't found any hardware problems. I'm using a one-year-old iMac, base model with 16 GB memory, and it works fine. In the olden days, an ordinary personal computer wouldn't run programs that involved 3D calculations, I recall, and we always had extra processors in my family's computers to make sure drafting programs like AutoCad would run alright. 

It's very exciting to me, to see people without any drafting background able to work with an open source program that does extremely accurate visuals without having to struggle so hard and rely on technical math, programming, and drafting principles. 

And it looks awesome! I dare ya to search Google for Blender samples of graphics and animations. Films too, don't forget those! Here's one page of samples that I like: 27 Inspiring Blender Animations.

No comments:

Post a Comment