Thursday 19 February 2015

Blender exercises going well using wiki books

I'm following two sources to learn Blender so far. After some trial and error, I found that http://cgcookie.com and http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/ have good tutorials and information.

Cgcookie has some free tutorials, and many more are available which look useful once you join their modest $18/month membership. I may just join them myself. I'm doing approximately one free tutorial per day, and I predict that finding good ones for free will eventually become frustrating. Rather than seek endlessly for free learning, I'll probably be ready to pay up for some respected course or tutorial membership site. Meanwhile, perhaps like you, I want to learn enough to understand what I'm getting involved with.

Unsurprisingly, learning Blender is invigorating my traditional art practice as well. I have made two drawings that were important to me, in the past two days. I recall saying the same thing three days ago, too! I also want to learn Corel Painter but that one is further down my list right now for practical reasons - I have upcoming projects that will benefit from understanding Blender and 3D animation.

Today's tutorial exercise - modelling a basic human figure

Following a tutorial in Noob to Pro, I was able to produce a basic building-block figure without flaws,  following very clear instructions:


As the day (and week) progresses, I'll add more pictures. The next part of the tutorial starts to look a little more like a normal human figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment